Microsoft’s newfound desire to make themselves desirable to the hipster development community has caused them to make many things [open](https://github.com/Microsoft/) and/or free of late. One of these manifestations is [Visual Studio Code](https://code.visualstudio.com/), an [Atom](https://atom.io/)-ish editor for us code jockeys. I have friends at Microsoft and the Revolution R folks are there now, so I try… Continue reading
Thanks to a comment suggestion, the Rforecastio package is now up to version 1.3.0 and has a new parameter which lets you specify which time conversion function you want to use. Details are up on [github](https://github.com/hrbrmstr/Rforecastio).
Not even going to put an `R` category on this since I don’t want to pollute R-bloggers with this tiny post, but I had to provide the option to let folks specify `ssl.verifypeer=FALSE` (so I made it a generic option to pass in any CURL parameters) and I had a couple gaping bugs that I… Continue reading
I’ve bumped up the version number of `Rforecastio` ([github](https://github.com/hrbrmstr/Rforecastio)) to `1.1.0`. The new features are: – removing the SSL certificate bypass check (it doesn’t need it anymore) – using `plyr` for easier conversion of JSON-\>data frame – adding in a new `daily` forecast data frame – roxygen2 inline documentation library(Rforecastio) library(ggplot2) library(plyr) # NEVER… Continue reading
Most of my free coding time has been spent tweaking a D3-based live power outage tracker for Central Maine Power customers (there’s also a woefully less-featured Shiny app for it, too). There is some R associated with the D3 vis, but it’s limited to a cron job that’s makes the CSV files for the sparklines… Continue reading
I’ve been getting a huge uptick in views of my Slopegraphs in Python post and I think it’s due to @edwardtufte’s recent slopegraph contest announcement. The original Python code is crufty and a mess mostly due to the intermittent attention to it, wanting to reduce dependencies and hacking vs programming. I’ve been wanting to do… Continue reading
I decided to forego the D3 map mentioned in the previous post in favor of a Shiny one since I had 90% of the mapping code written. I binned the ranges into three groups, changed the color over to something more pleasant (with RColorBrewer), added an interactive table for the counties with outage and have… Continue reading
I was helping a friend out who wanted to build a word cloud from the text in Google Groups posts. If you’ve made any efforts to try to get content out of Google Groups you know that the only way to do so is to ensure you subscribe to the group posts via e-mail, then… Continue reading