Come Fly With Me (well, not really) — Comparing Involuntary Disembarking Rates Across U.S. Airlines in R

By now, word of the forcible deplanement of a medical professional by United has reached even the remotest of outposts in the #rstats universe. Since the news brought this practice to global attention, I found some aggregate U.S. Gov data made a quick, annual, aggregate look at this soon after the incident: Overall annual boarding… Continue reading

The Most Important Commodity in 2017 is Data

Despite being in cybersecurity nigh forever (a career that quickly turns one into a determined skeptic if you’re doing your job correctly) I have often trusted various (not to be named) news sources, reports and data sources to provide honest and as-unbiased-as-possible information. The debacle in the U.S. in late 2016 has proven (to me)… Continue reading

Slaying CIDR Orcs with Triebeard (a.k.a. fast trie-based ‘IPv4-in-CIDR’ lookups in R)

The insanely productive elf-lord, @quominus put together a small package (triebeard) that exposes an API for radix/prefix tries at both the R and Rcpp levels. I know he had some personal needs for this and we both kinda need these to augment some functions in our iptools package. Despite triebeard having both a vignette and… Continue reading

On Whether Y-axis Labels Are Always Necessary

The infamous @albertocairo blogged about a nice interactive piece on German company tax avoidance by @ProPublica. Here’s a snapshot of their interactive chart: Dr. Cairo (his PhD is in the bag as far as I’m concerned :-) posited: Isn’t it weird that the chart doesn’t have a scale on the Y-axis? It’s not the first… Continue reading

Introducing a Weekly R / Python / JS / etc Vis Challenge!

UPDATE: Deadline is now 2016-04-05 23:59 EDT; next vis challenge is 2016-04-06! Per a suggestion, I’m going to try to find a neat data set (prbly one from @jsvine) to feature each week and toss up some sample code (99% of the time prbly in R) and offer up a vis challenge. Just reply in… Continue reading

Easier Composite U.S. Choropleths with albersusa

Folks who’ve been tracking this blog on R-bloggers probably remember this post where I showed how to create a composite U.S. map with an Albers projection (which is commonly referred to as AlbersUSA these days thanks to D3). I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this earlier, but you don’t need to do those… Continue reading