I saw a second post on turning htmlwidgets into interactive Twitter Player cards and felt somewhat compelled to make creating said entities a bit easier so posited the following:
Wld this be useful packaged up, #rstats?https://t.co/sfqlWnEeJVhttps://t.co/troKzmzTNv
(TLDR/V: Single function to turn an HTML widget into a deployable interactive Twitter card) pic.twitter.com/uahB52YfE2
— boB Rudis (@hrbrmstr) March 26, 2019
I figured 40+ 💙 could not be wrong, so thus begat
To make this post as short as possible, the TLDR is that you just pass in an
htmlwidget and some required parameters and you get back a deployable interactive Twitter Player card as an archive file and local directory. The example code is almost as short since we’re cheating and using the immensely helpful
plotly package to turn a ggplot2 vis into something interactive.
First, make the vis:
library(ssh) library(plotly) library(ggplot2) library(widgetcard) ggplot(mtcars, aes(wt, mpg)) + geom_point() -> gg
Now, we create a local preview image for the plot we just made since we need one for the card:
preview <- gg_preview(gg)
NOTE that you can use any image you want. This function streamlines the process for plotly plots created from ggplot2 plots. There are links to image sizing guidelines in the package help files.
Now, we convert our ggplot2 object to a plotly object and create the Twitter Player card. Note that Twitter really doesn’t like standalone widgets being used as Twitter Player card links due to their heavyweight size. Therefore,
card_widget() creates a non-standalone widget but bundles everything up into a single directory and deployable archive.
ggplotly(gg) %>% card_widget( output_dir = "~/widgets/tc", name_prefix = "tc", preview_img = preview, html_title = "A way better title", card_twitter_handle = "@hrbrmstr", card_title = "Basic ggplot2 example", card_description = "This is a sample caRd demonstrating card_widget()", card_image_url_prefix = "https://rud.is/vis/tc/", card_player_url_prefix = "https://rud.is/vis/tc/", card_player_width = 480, card_player_height = 480 ) -> arch_fil
Here’s what the resulting directory structure looks like:
tc ├── tc.html ├── tc.png └── tc_files ├── crosstalk-1.0.0 │ ├── css │ │ └── crosstalk.css │ └── js │ ├── crosstalk.js │ ├── crosstalk.js.map │ ├── crosstalk.min.js │ └── crosstalk.min.js.map ├── htmlwidgets-1.3 │ └── htmlwidgets.js ├── jquery-1.11.3 │ ├── jquery-AUTHORS.txt │ ├── jquery.js │ ├── jquery.min.js │ └── jquery.min.map ├── plotly-binding-4.8.0 │ └── plotly.js ├── plotly-htmlwidgets-css-1.39.2 │ └── plotly-htmlwidgets.css ├── plotly-main-1.39.2 │ └── plotly-latest.min.js ├── pymjs-1.3.2 │ ├── pym.v1.js │ └── pym.v1.min.js └── typedarray-0.1 └── typedarray.min.js
(There’s also a
tc.tgz at the same level as the
The widget is iframe’d using
widgetframe and then saved out using
Now, for deploying this to a web server, one could use a method like this to
scp the deployable archive:
sess <- ssh_connect(Sys.getenv("SSH_HOST")) invisible(scp_upload( sess, files = arch_fil, Sys.getenv("REMOTE_VIS_DIR"), verbose = FALSE )) ssh_exec_wait( sess, command = c( sprintf("cd %s", Sys.getenv("REMOTE_VIS_DIR")), sprintf("tar -xzf %s", basename(arch_fil)) ) )
Alternatively, you can use other workflows to transfer and expand the archive or copy output to your static blog host.
Make sure to test anything you build with Twitter’s validator before tweeting it out.
This works but is super nascent and could use some serious IRL tyre kicking and brutal feedback. Pick the least offensive social coding site you prefer and file issues & PR’s at-will.
Pingback: Rome Was Not Built In A Day But widgetcard Was! – Data Science Austria